At the UNLV Writing Center, our writer-centered approach fosters an understanding of writing as a series of choices writers make based on context, audience, purpose, and genre. We work with writers in any discipline on any writing task (except for legal documents) to help them develop, improve, and transfer writing skills into their personal, academic, professional, and civic lives.
The Writing Center is primarily a site for teaching and learning. We do not edit or proofread for writers. Instead, we consult with writers at any level of expertise to help them develop their own strategies for making informed choices about writing. Because writing is one of the chief ways we create, communicate, and critique knowledge, the Writing Center plays a central role in the life of the university.
Before You Visit
To make an appointment, please call us at 702-895-3908 or drop by the Writing Center (CDC Building 3). We do not make appointments via email.
Walk-ins are sometimes available, but we recommend making an appointment well ahead of the date your assignment is due.
When You Visit
- Arrive 5-10 minutes early to check-in to make sure you're seen on time.
- Bring two copies of your paper/assignment (if you have something written). We will not make copies. We will not work on laptops (except in cases of DRC accommodation).
- If you arrive more than 10 minutes late without calling ahead, you will be marked as a "no show," and we will give your appointment to someone on the waiting list.
- If you have more than 2 "no shows" in a semester, you will lose appointment-making privileges for the rest of the academic year and will only be seen if we have walk-in availability.
- If you are unsure if you can make your appointment, please call us to cancel at least one hour ahead of your appointment, or let us know you may be late. We cannot guarantee that we will hold your appointment.
- Bring any assignment sheets or information that would help us better understand your assignment.
- If you want your instructor notified, bring his or her email address.
- If you are working on a take home exam, we are required to notify your instructor.