Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Please read all instructions carefully before submitting your paper!
Writing Center consultants do not proofread or edit writing! Consultants aim to help writers better understand and practice writing as a series of informed choices made in a variety of academic, professional, personal, and civic contexts. Our consultants cannot correct, revise, or adapt writing. Consultants will not read the document in order to give suggestions on how to improve your draft. We do not edit or proofread. Like regular appointments in the Writing Center, consultants spend a maximum of 45 minutes with each paper, so all concerns may not be addressed.
Because following a style guide involves the kind of detail that cannot be explained, only shown, OWL consultants will not comment on reference pages, including, but not limited to, MLA Works-Cited pages and APA References pages. For that, you’ll need an appointment in the Writing Center. Information about formatting and citations can also be found here: Writing Tips
- OWL submissions are limited to one per week per writer.
- You must be currently enrolled at UNLV in order to submit your paper.
- You must use your Rebelmail address to submit your paper. Failure to use a unlv.nevada.edu or unlv.edu address will result in immediate rejection.
- There is a two (2)-business day turnaround for papers submitted Monday through Thursday between 8:00am and 6:00pm. Papers submitted Friday through Sunday will not be distributed to consultants until Monday morning.
- If you have a pressing deadline, please visit the Writing Center in person.
- Your submission must be no longer than five double-spaced pages, about 1250 words. If you submit more than the limit, we will only look at the first five pages unless you indicate otherwise.
- The OWL accepts a maximum of six (6) papers per day. If we have already received the day's limit, you will be notified by email.
- You may submit the same paper twice as long as revisions based on our comments have been made between submissions.
- WE DO NOT EDIT OR PROOFREAD, which means no grammar checking. For help with grammar, please make a face-to-face consultation.