Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Please read all instructions carefully before submitting your paper!
Writing Center consultants do not proofread or edit writing! Consultants aim to help writers better understand and practice writing as a series of informed choices made in a variety of academic, professional, personal, and civic contexts. Our consultants cannot correct, revise, or adapt writing. Consultants will read the document in order to give suggestions on how to improve your draft. We do not edit or proofread. Like regular appointments in the Writing Center, consultants spend a maximum of 45 minutes with each paper, so all concerns may not be addressed.
Because following a style guide involves the kind of detail that cannot be explained, only shown, OWL consultants will not comment on bibliographic pages, including, but not limited to, MLA Works-Cited pages and APA References pages. Information about formatting and citations can be found here: Writing Center Handouts
- OWL submissions are limited to two per week per writer and only one submission per day.
- You must be currently enrolled or employed at UNLV in order to submit your paper.
- You must use your Rebelmail address to submit your paper. Failure to use an @unlv.nevada.edu or @unlv.edu address will result in immediate rejection.
- Your submission must be no longer than five double-spaced pages or up to 1250 words. If you submit more than the limit, we will only look at the first five pages unless you indicate otherwise.
- You may submit the same paper twice as long as revisions based on our comments have been made between submissions.
- For essay exams, we are required to notify your instructor
- WE DO NOT EDIT OR PROOFREAD
The UNLV Writing Center’s virtual and OWL consultations are considered public, academic spaces. Writers are expected to conduct themselves as professionally in these online settings as they would in a classroom. Consultants reserve the right to terminate the consultation if any writer refuses to adhere to such standards.
If you are having issues with this form, please email email@example.com.